Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Netflix Movie Review: Drive

"Drive is a quiet film. Yes, there are intense action scenes that push the R rating toward an NC-17, but the overall vibe of Drive is one of silent menace. And although the film centers around a mechanic/stunt driver/getaway driver, high speed car chases aren't what Drive's all about. There's so much going on under the surface of Drive's unnamed main character (played with simmering intensity by Ryan Gosling) and so much left unspoken - when other directors would have chosen to fill the air with dialogue - that Drive does something films rarely do: it makes audiences think. Who is this strange man who parcels out his words as though he's being made to pay in blood for their usage? So much is left up to the audience to interpret that Drive is less a film you passively watch and more of an experience you must engage in."  ~Rebecca Murry, About.com


General Movie Info:
Genre:  Crime, Drama, Thriller
Plot:  A quiet Hollywood stuntman, mechanic and getaway driver finds trouble when he assists his neighbour's convict boyfriend. 
Rated:  R

My thoughts:
Overall the movie was just not very good.  The styling and music was very 80's (and not in a good way).  Ryan Gosling is a good actor, but in this role his character was not very believable.  Since the movie has an odd quirky quality, I'm sure some people will love this movie but if you ask me... I'd skip this one.

Check out the official trailer:

1 comment:

  1. I really want to see Drive and I have heard some great reviews but it is nice to read a different opinion as well. I had to stop using Netflix due to the split cost in their service and start looking for a new option. I found a great way to do that in an odd place that ended up being at work at Dish. I find it off because I usually leave work out of my home life but Blockbuster@ Home is just too cool to pass up. I travel a lot for work so I use the live streaming a lot more then the mail service which is great for movies and games. Back at home my DVR and internet work together to send me live streaming movies by the thousands, which is find by me. I really like Ryan Gosling so I will be enjoying his characterizations tonight in my hotel room.

    ReplyDelete