Monday, April 2, 2012

My Netflix Movie Review: Stay Cool

“That sucked,' says Henry McCarthy (Mark Polish) about twenty minutes into Stay Cool, which is a funny coincidence, because I said the same thing when the movie ended an hour and a half later. This is the sixth film from the Polish brothers (Mark wrote and stars, Michael directs), whose earlier films include the odd and fascinating Twin Falls Idaho and the lovely Astronaut Farmer, so its poor quality is all the more surprising. According to imdb, it was shot back-to-back with their currently-unreleased fifth film, Manure; I’m not sure if they were just worn out from finishing another picture, but however you slice it, I think they gave that title to the wrong movie." ~ Jason Bailey, Fourth Row Center

General Movie Info:
Genre:  Comedy, Drama, Romance
Plot:  A successful author returns to his hometown to deliver the commencement speech at his old high school and struggles to let go of the past.
Rated:  PG-13

My Thoughts:
The basic storyline of a person confronting his past in light of current success is nothing new.  In fact, it has been done successfully several times before but this version may be the worst adaptation I've seen.  The movie was filled with stars such as: Winona Ryder, Sean Astin, Mark Polish, Hilary Duff, Jon Cryer, Chevy Chase, Michael Gross, etc. so the expectation was there that the movie would be at least entertaining.  However, it fell fall short of entertaining.  The movie plot did have potential and the star power associated with the film could have been great but for whatever reason it just didn't happen.  Do yourself a favor and skip this movie.  I'm sure you can find yourself a better way to waste an hour and a half.

Check out the official trailer:

1 comment:

  1. Nice review. The last two sentences pretty much sums up my entire feeling about Netflix content though. I had it for a while, quickly watched all the shows and movies they had that I wanted to see, and then ended up watching five to ten minutes of a lot of other…well, garbage, for lack of a better word. That’s why I was happy to give it a try when my employer, DISH, came out with the Blockbuster @Home service. At first I thought it was going to be similar to Netflix, just with different content. But I was actually pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be much better. Along with the streaming content, I also get DVDs, Blu-rays, and video games by-mail, and a bunch of movie channels. It’s a lot more variety than Netflix, maybe you should give it a try to; it would open up the possibilities quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete