10. National Running Day - This no cost, fun holiday promotes an active lifestyle and allows everyone no matter of skill level to participate. (www.runningday.org/)
"There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open." ~Nike
9. Father's Day - Membership has its privileges!
"If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated, let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right." ~Bill Cosby
8. Halloween - A holiday that allows you to dress your kids up in silly costumes and parade them around the neighborhood so they can demand free candy from the neighbors... awesome!
Q: Why was the skeleton afraid to cross the street? A: It had no guts!
7. Easter - It's like Christmas with warmer weather; but without the pressure of gifts.
"Easter is the only time it is perfectly safe to put all of your eggs in one basket." ~Unknown
6. Super Bowl Sunday - Someone in Congress needs to create an official holiday that gives everyone off the Monday after the Super Bowl. That way everyone can fully enjoy the magic that is the Super Bowl. No matter your favorite part: the game, the commercials, complaining about the half-time show, or the Puppy Bowl, the Super Bowl has something for everyone. (Side note: I think it is time for Budweiser to bring back the Bud Bowl.)
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?" ~Vince Lombardi
5. Independence Day - A day filled with BBQ, beer, and fireworks designed to celebrate our freedom and remember the American beat down of England. USA! USA! USA!
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." ~The Declaration of Independence
4. New Year's - I consider this a combo holiday. New Year's Eve is a celebration; party like it is 1999 because who knows what's going to happen. New Year's Day is a day of new beginnings and new starts; anything is possible. The two combined make for a roller coaster of ideas.
"Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to." ~Bill Vaughan
3. Mother's Day- Moms rule! Everyday moms take on the daily stinky, sticky, un-fun jobs so the least we can do is give them one great day. Plus, in my family it has been the tradition to get Boston Market on Mother's Day so it is a win for me too!)
"You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around - and why his parents will always wave back." ~William D. Tammeus
2. Christmas - Christmas is by far the biggest, most over-the-top holiday. Each year the "season" begins earlier and earlier. This holiday has everything: religion, gifts, tradition, family, light shows, TV specials, family recipes, etc, etc, etc. So why isn't it #1? With all of the fun and potential around Christmas it can be too much. The stress of trying to keep up with it all can be overwhelming.
"Where do you think you're going? Nobody'd walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no. We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny ******* Kaye. And when Santa squeezes his fat *** down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of ******** this side of the nuthouse." ~Clark (National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation)
1. Thanksgiving - Without a doubt, the best holiday! A day about being thankful for what you have, centered around a big meal with your family, capped off with football.
"Thanksgiving, man. Not a good day to be my pants." ~Kevin James