Friday, June 17, 2011

Breech baby... version attempt...

At my wife’s last few prenatal checkups the baby has been in a breech position.  With the due date fast approaching we were running out of time for the baby to flip down on her own.  
"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." ~ Maria Robinson
Since my wife is a real trooper, she tried just about everything to get the baby to flip.  She tried laying on an incline (head down), putting cold peas on the top of her belly, placing a flashlight at the bottom of her belly, etc.  She even put on her bikini and did somersaults in the pool!  
"Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try." ~ Unknown
Since none of the tricks worked, she had to schedule a cephalic version.  A version is a procedure where a doctor attempts to manually move the baby into the correct position.  (This is done from the outside of the body.  In case you are wondering.  I had more than one person ask.)  
"The fox has many tricks.  The hedgehog has but one.  But that is the best of all." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Since the version puts pressure on both the mom and baby, it does involve some risk.  Before, during, and after the procedure, the baby’s health is closely monitored.  If baby encounters too much stress, or the amniotic sac breaks, an emergency cesarean delivery (C-section) is performed.  In addition to the risks, the process can be very uncomfortable, even painful,  for the mom.
"Risk comes from not knowing what you are doing." ~ Warren Buffet
We get to our appointment... after what felt like forever, the doctor is finally ready to perform the procedure.  
"I got no patience and I hate waiting." ~ Jay Z
Thoughts in my head:  (1) Is this going to cause the baby to be born right now? (2) How much pain is this going to cause?  (3) I hope this works!
"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think." ~ Buddha
After just a few seconds into the procedure the doctor states that the baby moved and is now in the correct position.  It was the easiest baby move any of the hospital staff had experienced.  No pain for the mom... no stress on the baby.  Great success!
"Celebrate we will because life is short but sweet for certain." ~ Dave Mathews Band
Now we just have to hope she stays in the right position and wait for her to make entrance!

Check out a video of a version (not my wife):



1 comment:

  1. Interesting....I had my baby boy in Jun 7, 1973 and a few weeks before he was born my doctor went on vacation leaving me with another doctor to take his place. This much older doctor checks me and tells me my baby is breach and he performed this manual maneuver to turn the baby around. He did it and it worked with the baby born several weeks later in perfect condition. I never knew there was a name for this.

    ReplyDelete