Thursday, July 21, 2011

Meeting Baby Sister

For the last few months, my wife and I have been preparing for baby number two to arrive.  We prepared the house, the cars, ourselves, etc.  Then we waited... and waited as the due date passed.
"Better late than never." ~Matthew Henry 
Ultimately, our standard weekly doctor’s appointment turned into an a trip to the hospital for inducement.  The baby would be coming soon... one way or another!  Thanks to a network of family members, my son was well taken care of and I was able to be at the hospital with my wife.  Once we got to the hospital, the events began to move quickly.  
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." ~Wyatt Earp  
Knowing that go-time was fast approaching, I called the grandmothers to inform them them it was time. They both arrived at the hospital will little time to spare. The birth moved quickly and a healthy baby girl was born.
"If a girl looks swell when she meets you, who gives a damn if she's late? Nobody." ~ J. D. Salinger 
After all the measurements were made, and toes counted, I sent out a mass email to family and friends.  As the congratulations and ‘can’t wait to meet her’ messages came in, I realized that over the next few weeks baby girl was going to be meeting a lot of new faces.  While I’m excited for everyone to meet baby girl, there is one person in particular I couldn’t wait for her to meet.
"I am convinced that material things can contribute a lot to making one's life pleasant, but, basically, if you do not have very good friends and relatives who matter to you, life will be really empty and sad and material things cease to be important." ~David Rockefeller 
Over the past few years my son has systematically become king of the castle.  He has gotten us pretty well trained to his liking.  While we have been prepping him for his baby sister we weren't exactly sure how he would respond.  Would he get angry if we were holding her?  Would he ignore her completely?       
"Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent." ~Dalai Lama 
The next morning, my son and I took the short drive over to the hospital.  I keep telling him what we were doing, but he never let on if he knew for sure what we were about to do.  I like to think he did.  As we walked down the long hallway to towards the elevator I kept thinking how special it was that he was about to meet someone who he will have a special relationship with for the rest of his life.
"It is only at the first encounter that a face makes its full impression on us." ~Arthur Schopenhauer 
As I opened the door to my wife’s room, my son appeared a little apprehensive.  I suggested that he go ahead but it wasn’t until my wife called his name that he fully entered the room.  Following my wife’s voice, he ran into the room and immediately noticed baby sister.  His eyes lit up and he leaned over and smiled at her.  He liked her!
"Big Brother is watching you." ~George Orwell 
Now that we are home and adjusting our routine many things have changed over the last few days.  But one thing that hasn’t changed is big brother loving his baby sister.  He still smiles when he sees her and even gives her kisses.     

                        Life is good!


1 comment:

  1. So sweet ! I love this post. I think this is your best one yet.

    ReplyDelete