Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Big Brother to take on the Big World!

With the arrival of Baby Sister my son seems so much older (and heavier) than he did just a few weeks ago.  Seeing again what a newborn baby is like I really appreciate how much my son can do.  He is quickly becoming a big boy!  However, at the same time he is still not that big.  

“We've had bad luck with children; they've all grown up” ~Christopher Morley
Sure he struts around the house like his poop don’t stink.  When in fact I know all to well that it does.  Which brings us to his next big step... potty training.  We have had a few prior attempts at potty training but failed to ever gain any real traction.  This attempt is going a little better.  He has sat on the potty several times and has had some successful attempts!  Sure, we also have had some “spills” but we will get there.

“You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was.” ~Abraham Lincoln
This latest potty training stint is being aggressively pursued because Big Brother is going to start pre-school in September.  We have been fortunate to be able juggle our schedules so he was always able to stay home with either my wife or I but the time has come for him to take on the big world.  He will be going two days a week for a couple of hours each day.  He's still not a big talker so we are hoping that the time away from my wife and I will be good for his social development.

"There is hope for the future because God has a sense of humor and we are funny to God." ~Bill Cosby 
It is going to be an interesting next few months....   

  • Having to follow a new routine
  • Being responsible for his book-bag
  • Lining up with other kids
  • Having to listen and follow instructions from strangers
  • Not be the center of attention.

...but I'm sure he'll do great!

3 comments:

  1. It's hard to let them go into the "big world". I'm sure he'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a precious age. the hardest thing for me about the pre-school period was managing my own expectations. my daughter wasn't much of a talker either. she seemed slower than the other kids. that made me anxious. i hated feeling competitive! it was a challenge to let her be herself. but there's no other choice because kids needs to learn and grow at their own pace. and at 16, she is doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks... In addition to managing our expectations we are also trying to avoid throwing too much at him at once. Becoming a big brother has to be a big change by itself.

    ReplyDelete