Thursday, December 29, 2011

New Year’s Reso-YOU-tions!

Resolution time is here again.  I was planning on making my usual pledges and keep it status quo.  You know, the basic New Year goals - taking over the world and establishing a new world order, ending world hunger, be the lead singer in a rock band, paving the rainforest to build Jay-Land Amusement Park, or opening and operating a successful bed and breakfast in downtown Iran or Syria.    
"It wouldn't be New Year's if I didn't have regrets." ~William Thomas
OK, maybe some of those ideas are a little far ambitious for a single year goal.  Perhaps instead I should join the masses in declaring that 2012 will be the year that I finally stick to a workout plan that promotes weight loss and gets me beach body ready.  I could even give up McDonalds and pizza!  Maybe that’s it, 2012 will be the year that I finally decide to get up early each morning to workout and follow those workouts with sprouts, wheat germ and everything else healthy.  While I’m at it, I could also get my house organized, save more money, volunteer my time to help others less fortunate, reduce the stress in my life, and do all of this while spending more quality time with my family.   Perfect plan!
New Year’s Day... now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions.  Next week you can begin paying hell with them as usual.” ~Mark Twain
OR not, I’m not into the whole morning thing and McNuggets dipped in Hot Mustard sauce are way too delicious for me to ever give up on a permanent basis.  In fact, I’m not going to make a resolution to do any of those things. Why would I make such resolutions anyway? I’m pretty stoked with myself and what I’m doing.  So instead of worrying about what I should do to improve myself, I’m going to do everyone else a favor and make some reso-YOU-tions.
“New Year’s Resolution: To tolerate fools more gladly, provided this does not encourage them to take up more of my time.” ~James Agate
What is a reso-YOU-tion you ask?  A reso-YOU-tion is act of informing others as to what their resolution should be.  All the time I encounter people with glaring flaws and most of the time I try to ignore them.  Not this year!  Now when talking to someone with stank breath, instead of trying not to hold my breath, I’m going to suggest they make a resolution to brush and floss or regularly.  And so on...  I’m sure the general public will inspire some great reso-YOU-tions!
"Many people look forward to the New Year for a new start on old habits." ~Anonymous
Like the idea?  Great! But if you start giving out reso-YOU-tions of your own I have a little advice for you. Give them to strangers. (Probably best to give to strangers that you can out run or beat up... just saying.) Avoid friends and family.  I started this new phenomenon the other day by providing a reso-YOU-tion for my wife.  This backfired!  She was VERY quick to offer some resolutions right back to me.
"Good Resolutions are simply checks that men draw on a bank where that have no account.” ~Oscar Wilde
This year help out the greater good and hand out some reso-YOU-tions of your own! Happy New Year everyone!    

1 comment:

  1. Reso-YOU-tion for you.... More Thought of the Jay posts!

    ReplyDelete