Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Little Man

Lately most of my attention has been concentrated on preparing for baby number two.  The days on the calender keep moving closer to her due date, and to-do items are slowly being checked off our baby prep list.  But this weekend I noticed the my wife’s belly isn’t the only thing getting bigger, so is my son.
"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." ~ Abraham Lincoln
On Friday, the boy and I went to a local children's amusement park for the first time without my wife.  As soon as we got to the park we headed straight for “Vapor Trail”, which is their big roller coaster.  This would be my son's first time on a roller coaster!  He has gone on several other rides but nothing this big or this fast.  I thought he would like the ride but since this was his first time I couldn’t be completely sure.  
“Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy.”  ~ Author Unknown
After the safety bar was locked and the ride began to move I explained to him what was about to happen.  My words received little attention.  However, about halfway up the incline I felt his hand firmly grab my leg. He was now quite aware that something big was about to happen.  
"Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit."  ~ Robert Brault
The ride was faster and more exciting than I was anticipating, so when we pulled into the station I was wondering how he was going to react.  Once the ride came to a complete stop, I could tell from the look on his face that he had fun.  We gave each other a high-five and continued our journey . I was feeling very proud of my boy as we walked around the park.  We were having a great time.  We went on a few more rides, shared a hot pretzel, and met characters.  How could it get better?

"It is not flesh and blood, but heart which makes us fathers and sons."  ~ Friedrich von Schiller
This amusement park has a big slide for kids.  You have to walk up three flights of stairs to get to the top.  On past visits to the park, I would take my son to the top and my wife would wait down at the bottom.  On this trip, since it was just the two of us, if he was going to be able to go down the slide he would have to climb to the top by himself.

“Sons have always a rebellious wish to be disillusioned by that which charmed their fathers.”  ~ Aldous Huxley
We walked over to the stairs and I told him to follow the other kids and I would be waiting for him at the bottom.  He let go of my hand and began to climb the stairs.  After going up the second flight of stairs he looked back to me.  I yelled up to him, “I’ll see you at the bottom.”  He then continued on his climb and quickly went out of sight.  I made my way down to bottom of the slide and waited.  Since he was out of sight I kept watch like a hawk.  Would he come down the slide?  Would he come back down the stairs?  Would the ride attendant call me to come up for some reason?  After what felt like an hour, he came flying out of the slide tunnel with a huge smile.  

“Of all the animals, the boy is the most unmanageable.”  ~ Plato
As soon as he got off the slide he wanted to go again.  So we walked back to the stairs where I told him again that I would be waiting at the bottom.  Again he walked up most of the way, looked back, then continued ahead to the slide.  Each time he reached the bottom he wanted to go again.  So we would walk back to the stairs and go through our quickly formed routine.
“When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry.”  ~ William Shakespeare
However, after a few times of going through this process he stopped looking back to see if I was watching. He was too excited to get to the top and go down the slide like the bigger kids.  At that moment I realized my little boy was growing up... and growing up fast!
I am so proud!

1 comment: