Saturday, April 16, 2011

What's going on...

I was very busy this week and I'm happy it's the weekend! This past week was fairly balanced. Here's what's been going on...

Career:
Week one of my work detail is in the books.  While I’m still not sure how long the detail will last, I’m confident that the overall experience will be positive.  I now have a better idea of the type of work I'll be doing and think that my skill sets will be well suited for the challenges that lie ahead. During this first week I worked on a variety of different projects. Some my activities included: meeting with community partners, drafting emails, preparing meeting briefing documents, designing invitations and buttons.  



The most exciting part of the week was learning how to use Adobe PhotoShop.  I used the program to design buttons for an event next week. PhotoShop will allow me to become very creative with some photos. My future professional and personal projects will never be the same!
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." ~ Michael Jordan
Family:
For the first time, I gave my son a haircut!  The process went fairly well. First, I strapped him
into a booster seat - so he couldn't run away. Then I put the computer in front of him so he could play the ABC song, his favorite YouTube video, over and over. Then I just kept giving him popsicles until I was done. (Never underestimate the power of bribery!)
My wife purchased Norelco hair clippers designed to cut kid's hair and they worked great! His hair looks nice and even. If you are going to give a kid a haircut, I highly recommend getting this clipper. (Click here to learn more about the clipper.)
"Be nice to your children, for they choose your rest home." ~Phyllis Diller
Finance:
I finally finished my taxes!  
I also entered two limit orders in my personal investment account. (I first mentioned this account in my "Greed is Good!" post.)  I placed an order for XLF and XLU.  For both orders, I entered a buy price that was a few percentage points lower than the current price.  Hoping that something would push the stock lower within the next month or so.   XLF has been declining and I'm getting closer to my buy point.  XLU has been rising steadily so I may need to reconsider my buy point or reconsider the trade.
"Look at market fluctuations as your friend rather than your enemy; profit from folly rather than participate in it." ~ Warren Buffett 
I hope all of you are staying balanced!  
Keep on keepin' on!

1 comment: